Bells and Ringing
10 cwt in G
|Carlton le Moorland:
5 cwt in C#
8 cwt in Bb
Ringing Practice is every Monday 7.30 to 9.00 pm:
The first and third Mondays of the month at Bassingham, otherwise at Norton Disney; occasionally at Carlton le Moorland. No ringing on bank holidays or during Holy Week.
Visiting ringers are always welcome.
NB Covid-19 restrictions have adversely affected our normal pattern of ringing. For up-to-date information, please contact Stan Underwood (Tel: 788461).
FOR CENTURIES, church bells have proclaimed aloud for all to hear the Church’s message and the call to worship. Bell ringing is an enjoyable activity for people of almost any age – 9 to 90 years!
IF YOU would like to learn more about the distinctly English art of church bell ringing and perhaps learn to ring yourself, contact:
Stan Underwood (Tel: 788461) or Alan Haines (788753)
Withamside Parish Bells
St Mary the Virgin : Carlton le Moorland
ST MARY’S had a ring of three bells hung in an oak frame as part of the major restoration of the church in 1890-91: the tenor cast by Mears of Whitechapel in 1848; and two trebles, cast by John Hedderly in 1733. They all had canons and wooden headstocks and hung on plain bearings.
In 2014-15 the existing three bells and wheels were refurbished with cast-iron headstocks, new bearings, clappers, stays and sliders by John Taylor & Co. A new treble was cast with the inscription ADESTE FIDELES. Minimum retuning brought the ring of four bells into the major scale of C♯ tenor 5cwt 14lb. The ring of four was installed in February 2015
St Michael & All Angels, Bassingham
THE CHURCH has a fine ring of six bells, cast and hung in 1926 by John Taylor & Co. Two of the bells, originally cast in1770, were recast. The tenor is 10cwt 1qtr in G.
In 2023 the bells were refurbished, with new bearings and clapper fittings. The iron and steel frame was cleaned and repainted.
St Peter, Norton Disney
THE CHURCH has a ring of six in hung in 1953 on an oak frame from trees grown in Norton Disney Wood. Two bells dating from the 17th century were recast, with three new bells, and the bell cast as early as the 15th century retained. The tenor is 8cwt 27lb in B♭